Saturday, August 11, 2012

Work Bench - 6mm

Hi,

Hayden and I have managed a few more 6mm ACW games to play test "Black Powder" and they have gone really well. We started using Polemos rules and at first they seemed fun but then we basically had 3 crap games and spent 99% of the time simply trying to move but since we made the switch to Black Powder we have had 2 really enjoyable games, bloody but enjoyable. I hope to take the camera next time but I keep forgetting as the table looks really good.

So I decided to finish off my 6mm Union troops and scenery that I had going so when my last small order from baccus arrives everything will be completed quickly. I just need some Kepi skirmishers for my Sharpshooters, some cavalry and a few more generals and I'm all set.

 Below is the church I semi finished last year and then used in some games. I have finally gotten around to weathering and "sprucing" up the base with foilage etc etc. While its a masonry UK church, I'm not too fussed it won't be historically accurate as we will still "shoot the shit out of it" anyway.


My small Zouave Battalion, I don't have a specific unit in mind but simply painted them and handpainted an Irish Standard, instead of the usual 60x30mm base I split them into 2 30x30mm bases so they can act as smaller battalions. I have also painted 2 skirmish stands (behind them) for when they deploy a skirmish line. Since we moved to Black Powder I now have a use for the skirmish stands that came with the army pack.
The last few Regular US line battalions glued to their bases, 6mm baccus figures and handpainted flags. I do have some printed flags somewhere but I have no idea where, so I simply painted my own and in 6mm they take about 10 mins. I quite like these figures to paint, very easy and while these look a little rough compared to my first units from 30cm away you cant tell.

So only 1 Inf Regt, 2 Sharpshooter, 6 Guns and 2 Cavalry to go !


4 comments:

Rodger said...

Very nice work there Paul. The ground work for the church looks wonderful!

Jacko said...

Thanks, I still have some trees to add to it but it looks a heap better tahn what it did.

Archduke Piccolo said...

They look pretty good to me, Paul! Just remember, though, that the US flag has 13 stripes, 7 red and 6 White (heraldically speaking: gules, barry of 6 argent). There ought to be 34 stars in the blue canton, but as so many are hard to do even on 20mm scale flags, I just paint a circle of stars or an array that suggests lots of them.

Thanks for the heads up in re Ganesha Games.
Cheers,
Ion

Jacko said...

I knew that,but there was no way I was going to do that on a 6mm flag (that is 6mm high) :)